Sharp Keys is a free windows application which allows changing the functions of keyboard keys. In many cases you must change/replace any key with other key. This can be done through windows registry, but it is so complicated for beginner users. Sharp Keys provide very simple interface to replace keys and write to registry without any loss or damage. It also provides options to edit or delete any change. You can use it for remapping keys in windows 7, 8, 10. Let’s learn how to use it with screen reader.
First you need Sharp Keys setup in your computer. If you don’t have then download it from below link.
After downloading go to your download folder, select the sharp keys setup file and hit enter on it to begin the installation. Then follow the instructions to complete the installation.
After installing you find sharp keys shortcut on desktop.
1. go to desktop by pressing Windows +D.
2. Go to sharp keys by pressing S.
3. Press Enter on it to open it.
4. If prompted “Do you allow changes ” dialog then press Alt +Y for yes.
Remapping the Key
If you want to remap or change any key function of keyboard keys then follow below steps, here I change the “print screen” key with “Num Pad Slash”.
1. Open the Sharp Keys from your desktop.
2. Press Alt +A to activate add button.
It will open the remap key dialog box and having focus on “From Key” List box.
3. Go to “Special: PRTSC” by using arrow keys.
Note: Print Screen is fall into special keys group so, you can press “S” first to move on special keys quickly then move down to “PRTSC” with down arrow key.
4. Press “Tab” three time to move on “To This Key” list box.
5. Choose “NUM: /” by using arrow keys.
Note: you can also use “N” to move on “NUM: /” quickly.
6. Go to OK button by using Tab key and hit Enter on it to close the remap key dialog box.
7. Press Alt +W to activate the write to registry button.
It will show following message having focus on ok button;
Key Mappings have been successfully stored to the registry. Please logout or reboot for these changes to take effect! OK Button.
8. Press Enter on ok button.
9. Now restart or sign out/logout your pc for these changes to take effect.
Edit Key function
If you want to edit any remapped key, then!
1. Open the sharp keys.
2. Choose required key from the list using arrow keys.
3. Press Alt +E to open the edit dialog box.
4. Go to “To this key” list box and choose another key that you want to replace with the key that is selected into “from key” list box.
Note: Here you can change both from key or to this key according to your requirements.
5. Hit enter on ok button then press Alt +W to activate the write to registry button.
6. Press enter on ok button and restart your pc.
Delete Remapped Key
If you want to delete any key, then follow
1. Open the sharp keys.
2. Choose required key from the list box.
3. Press Alt +D to activate the delete button.
Note: you can delete all keys by pressing Alt +L.
4. Now press Alt +W to activate the write to registry button then press enter on ok button and restart your pc.